For those who think that upcoming Windows Longhorn’s Avalon graphics system will be all that and a bag of chips, why don’t you take a look at the sort of thing that will be rolling into GNOME (Linux, BSD, Solaris) by that time.

That is all. No more reading. Just Wobbly Windows.

§543 · March 24, 2005 · Tags: , ·

8 Comments to “Wobbly Windows”

1. Charlie says:

Gnome!? I’m a KDE man, myself.

As noted in a previous post, I like certain KDE features, and certain KDE applications (k3b, for instance), but I prefer the overall look and feel of GNOME. Konqueror as a file manager stinks, and the widgets are over-the-top.

3. Joshua says:

I just realized you stole the “enduring iconoclast” moniker from me. ;)

I know, I’m a horrible person. It’s so damn catchy, though.

5. rob says:

The wobbly setting was turned to “high” for these videos, just to demonstrate the effects. I’m sure it could be pretty damn neat when used in moderation, but as it is it just seems far too gimmicky. The little previews of workspaces rock, though.

It’ll be interesting to see regardless, especially since the tests were performed on a Radeon 7500 with the OS drivers, which don’t even support hardware 3D acceleration – or didn’t last time I checked.

True. I’m less concerned about the specific effect and more concerned about its implications. Despite the low quality and brevity, these shots are still even cooler than the Project Looking Glass demo I linked to at some point. I think that OSS will do a 3D-effect and then fully 3d desktop not only earlier than Microsoft, but better, as well.

7. rob says:

Is Looking Glass not a fully 3D desktop environment already? I can’t remember the demo too well but I was under the impression it was.

I suppose it had 3D widgets. My impression of it was more like 3D effects on a 2D desktop.