This post has been deprecated. Please go to the new Free Software page.

§316 · June 20, 2004 · Tags: ·

17 Comments to “All the software you could ever want…”

1. abou says:

Well, let us see what some of this stuff can do.

I’m excited! Can you feel it?

2. Sole4Raziel says:

Great suggestions! I’m really diggin’ 7-Zip

3. Ekko Dieleman says:

I have another excellent system utility for you. It is called Everest. The freeware version is free for personal use. It can be found at http://www.lavalys.com. The current version is 1.10.

4. Nathan says:

How about a link to Blender.org. Blender is a full featured 3d app (similar to 3ds max, maya etc) but is open source.

5. Hey there, nice list. However, I would like to point out that GenS does _not_ emulate the Famicom, as the Famicom is the original Nintendo. The Japanese name for the Genesis was the Megadrive.

6. Kasper Henriksen says:

How about adding Exact Audio Copy to the “Media” category? Sure it’s not for the faint at heart with its enormous amount of options, but you will be hard pressed to find a better audio-CD ripper. Look at Hydrogen Audio, and you will find lots of people singing its praises. I’d also like to mention Media Player Classic (sorry it doesn’t have a fancy homepage) which is like “mplayer2.exe on steroids” :). Furthermore there is DefilerPak – a small collection of video and audio codecs that will let you play back almost anything while NOT screwing your system up (like that awful thing NIMO).

7. rob says:

I second the recommendation for the DefilerPak – it’s fantastisch.

8. S4R says:

new version ABC Bittorent, finally. tell me what you think.

9. rob says:

Shouldn’t they be definition lists? Tsk tsk Mr non-semantic markup.

I’m a fan of bullet points.

11. Steve Davis says:

This is the best list I have ever found of some of the best software you could use with a personal computer. Thank you for opening my eyes to excellent software for all of us.

12. gbinal says:

good list. one thing which, i believe has changed. burnatonce, a very simple but very function cd (and dvd?) burning tool has now opened its source code, so if you’re into the philosophy as well as to the cost benefits, fyi. burnatonce continues to treat me well.

Hmm, unless you’re privy to information which I’m unable to find, burnatonce is still closed source. That is to say, the frontend is closed source, but its components (mkisofs, cdrdao) are and always have been open source.

The latest news I’m aware of is that the developer, Jamie, has been very busy and as such that project has been stalled. However nice it would be for the code to be opened up, I doubt that it will happen.

14. Shawn says:

Daemon tools includes spyware/adware in it’s free edition. Not exactly the type of software to recommend.

This is true, but since the adware is optional, I’ve kept it included.

Besides, one can always download the 3.x series if they are worried about spyware.

16. […] I guess today I’m feeling a little more techy since my posts are more about tech toys and software. It doesn’t really matter if you are an EMR user or not, but this software list can save you a bunch of money personally and in using an EMR. Not to mention implement some good security controls. I ran accross this list at a blog by a modest construct […]